Our school is located in the countryside, on the outskirts of a small town, Stará Ľubovňa that lies in a hilly area, in north-eastern Slovakia. Stará Ľubovňa is situated on the Poprad River 15 kilometres south of the Polish border and 30 kilometres east of the High Tatras. It is one of the oldest towns in the Spiš region.
Stará Ľubovňa is an old medieval town; its origin has been traced back to the 13th century (in 1292 Stará Ľubovňa is first mentioned as Libenow). Lifestyle is very quiet. There are few restaurants, one cinema, one swimming pool and few playing fields. We are very proud of our medieval castle and an open air museum below it. The renovated old castle and the St Nicholas church are the main tourist attractions. The town is surrounded by beautiful nature.
Cirkevné gymnázium sv. Mikuláša
Cirkevné gymnázium sv.Mikuláša, Stará Ľubovňa – our grammar school is located in the town near the hospital. There are 237 students there. There are two types of study: grammar school and bilingual grammar school.
The school year starts on 2nd September and finishes on 30th June. We have two terms. At the end of each term students are given a school report. Lessons start at 07.50 am and end at 2.00 pm. Common subjects for all courses are: Slovak language and Literature, Mathematics, English, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, History, Geography, RE, PE, Culture and Art and foreign languages (German, Spanish and Russian). Students are not only from Stará Ľubovňa but also from near villages and surrounding areas. Social environment is friendly and relaxed; there are many activities which are done by students after classes. As for the employees of the school: there are 21 pedagogic employees, 4 non-pedagogic employees and 5 employees of the agreement.
What our school offers
- Institute for Economic and Social Reforms ranked our school as a school with very good results
- Graduates are admitted to the best universities in Slovakia and the Czech Republic
- The school has a high level of equipment (laboratories: the language, the digital language, IT, multimedia, biology, chemistry and physics)
- You can choose from the offer of foreign languages: English, German, Spanish and Russian
- You can improve your English thanks to lessons with Native Speaker
- You have the opportunity to be a member of the team of students who occupy leading partitions of knowledge and sporting competitions
- You can take a variety of excursions (London, Paris, Rome, Vienna, Croatia)
- You can choose from a wide range of interest activities (sport, the knowledge, language)
- You can develop your talent in drama and musical performance
- You can develop your journalistic abilities (the school newspaper, TV)
- 1st year in our school is an intensive language training
- from 2nd year – some subjects are taught in English (Art and Culture, Geography, Citizenship, Catholic religios edcucation,
- History, Business English, Global Studies, British and American Literature)
- Graduation of the English language is at the level C1 (level state exam).
- You can submit your application either as eighth grader or classically from 9th grade of primary school.
Education activity at our school stems from Christian values to educate and form pupils to become educated and creative young people with their own opinions and a positive outlook on life; who are able and willing to live a Christian lifestyle. Our school is for students, who want to continue studying at universities; who want to search for their way in life respecting Christian values and lifestyle. Our students are between fourteen and twenty years old and there are more girls than boys at our school.
Our teachers are not only professionals but also characters and moral authorities for the students. Teachers do their best to build a welcoming community both in and outside classrooms to create a positive school environment where everybody feels accepted and loved. That wouldn´t be possible without good teamwork and the trust and support from parents, who we see as equal partners when it comes to their children´s education. Together we strive to form hard-working, responsible, mature and free young people.
New information about school activities and results are being published on notice boards, school webpage, school magazine and regional newspapers.